Monday, April 23, 2007

Shine the Light on Someone

Being an encourager has always been one of my strong suits. Speaking well of others, even if they're my competition, has never backfired on me (as far as I can tell). And in the game of networking, you can NEVER TELL when your words are going to be repeated to a potential client. That 6-degrees of separation thing ain't an exaggeration. Somebody knows someone who worked with a client who had dealings with someone you talked about. So let your words build and edify others. Jesus said to do it, and it just makes for good karma.

Here's an example of how that philosophy paid off.

Several weeks ago I began sending out a newsletter to clients of The Lighthouse Group, past and present. Calling it THE GOLD BEACON, I send out a brief profile, along with contact information, of Lighthouse Group Member/Clients. My main purpose is to network and give a "thank you" to companies who have helped me make it this far. My first GOLD BEACON spotlight shone on GreatRadioAds.com. You can check out their website by clicking onto their link listed below in the Member/Client list.

A few days went by and I received an e-mail from GreatRadioAds.com head honcho, "Big" John Small. Apparently, another LHG Member, Spencer Tillman and his production company AXIOM PRODUCTIONS, www.spencertillman.com, contacted "Big" John about a copywriting job.

That's what I'm talkin' about! If I don't get a dime of work from either company, I will still be happy for getting them together. And it all came about by just spreading good words around and shining the Light on someone.

No comments: